The entrepreneur who donated $27 million to 2004 campaigns in a strategy to defeat President Bush has reemerged. Soros is said to have funded the Hillary Clinton and other Democrats campaign in 2016. His total contribution by June reached a total of $25 million according to the Politico. He was however expected to make more donations, but they have not yet been confirmed. He is said to have known Clinton for 25 years, and the two are said to be good friends. His relationship with Clinton was however questioned when he missed his first ever democratic convention. During the conference, Clinton announced her acceptance to be the Democratic presidential candidate. The people close to Soros noted that the businessman did not attend the conference as he had just returned and he needed to pay close attention to the economic situation in Europe. The Soros’ associates confirmed that Soros has been more concerned and actively participated in the 2016 campaigns more than in the past. The Politico explains that it occurred due to his interest in protecting the issues he has actively supported such as criminal justice and immigration reforms together with his support for religious tolerance. The Democrats have benefited from the funding of Soros and other wealthy individuals who enabled the smooth running of their campaigns. The following is an outline of the significant donations made by Soros during the 2016 campaigns:
- $7 million to Priorities USA Action (PAC), The principal beneficiary of Soros’s political generosity this cycle
- $5 million to non-profit organization dedicated to fighting bad habit of voting according to associates
- $5 million to super PAC Immigrant voter’s win. An organization that was committed to increasing voter turnout among Hispanic voters
- $2 million to American Bridge 21st Century
- $1.5 million to Senate Majority PAC that supports Democratic Senate candidates
- $1.5 million to Planned Parenthood PAC that boosts candidates who support abortion rights
- $0.7 million to an assortment of Democratic party committees and PACs campaigns.
Read this story about George at politico.com
In other news given by Washington times, Soros in 2015 made financial donations to Ferguson protest movements. He has inspired the groups that started the demonstration and saw the explosion of the protests movements. The one-day criminal event that occurred in Missouri became twenty-four hours a day national campaign. The man who has built an empire across Europe has been known for his philanthropic works. It is said he contributed a total of 1.45 million in the Philly prosecutor race and the head of Open Society Foundations made headlines again when he contributed towards March’s steering committee. Between 2000 and 2014, Soros donated money to the natural resources defense council, the public citizen, people’s union, Union of Concerned Scientists, a center for community change, among others. Read his profile at Business Insider.